Thursday, May 5, 2011

Greens Recovery Update

I am not happy with the rate of recovery from the last greens aeration and am aware that many others share that feeling. There are a number of reasons for the slow recovery but most of them would sound like excuses and I do not want to sound that way. I do know that snow the week before aeration, heavy frost during aeration, and cool damp days for the two weeks following aeration were very much a reason for slow growth. I also know that we used the largest tine we've ever used in order to address problems in the soil that have grown progressively worse over the past three years. The larger the tine size the longer it takes to heal. In addition to the weather and the larger tine I also deserve some blame. In hindsight I wish I had pushed harder for a later date on the calendar when turf growth would have been much more conducive to recovery. Perhaps this experience will help to make my case for a late April aeration next year.

Here is a repost from last fall:

Pages 5 and 6 of the following report summarize the results in relatively basic language.  In essence we need to upgrade our approach to aeration in order to keep the greens functioning properly.  We test samples every two years in order to make informed decisions on how to manage our greens.  It is far cheaper to test and follow a sound plan than it is to rebuild greens every 15 years.  Our greens are at an age that would typically yield test results far more "bleak" than what this report shows.  We are doing well, but age is showing and a change in how we aerate is a must. 

Fawn Lake C C ISTRC Report 2010-10090021

No comments:

Post a Comment